Is Addiction in Teenagers Common?
Teen drug addiction is a very serious matter. When it strikes somebody so young it can damage them for the rest of their lives since it’s well-known that a child’s habits will persist for a long time without any break in the cycle. Teenage drug rehabilitation is often something that doesn’t come up in conversation, but it’s a serious subject and it’s something that happens on a regular basis. Teen drug abuse is not uncommon in Western society and it’s necessary that they receive teen rehab treatment before it completely ruins their lives.
Why Does Teen Drug Addiction Occur?
Teenage drug abuse occurs for a wide variety of reasons. What has to be remembered is that young people have far more fragile minds than adults. To an extent, it’s as a result of their own naivety about the problems that the world suffers from. Adults can often ignore these things. If they are inflicted on a young person then it could easily lead to teens taking drugs and misusing them.
There are many reasons as to why somebody might turn to drugs, though. This is in no way an exhaustive list, however the reasons why teens often turn to drugs are listed below. Any of these signs should qualify any individual to attend a teen rehab clinic for teen rehab treatment.
- Family problems. This is by far the most common problem and it arises when divorces occur or when the parents are actually abusing the child. When this occurs the help of the parents will be needed to help rectify the issues.
- Peer pressure. Those people who hang around with individuals who are involved in drugs will, sooner or later, bow to peer pressure and become addicted themselves.
- Academic failure. Failure within academic circles can lead to depression and a loss of self-worth. In order to cure the problems they decide to take drugs as it provides a warm feeling that temporarily eliminates the pain.
- They see their parents do it. Children will copy those they look up to, which is why drug households often produce children who are also addicted to drugs.
It’s best to talk to a teacher or a close friend if any issues like these are present. They can help with a referral to a teen rehab clinic or a doctor. It can be hard to reveal these problems, but it will be of a massive benefit in the end as teenage drug rehabilitation can mean the difference between succeeding in life and being cast into a cycle of poverty and drugs.
What Can Happen?
Teen drug addiction is so serious due to the age of the addicts. If they are really young then the disadvantages that can befall them are far graver than if the same thing happens to an adult. A brief rundown of just some of the consequences of taking drugs as a teenager are listed below.
- Without a drug rehab clinic to help it can mean that the teen is consigned to criminal justice as they are constantly being harassed by the police for breaking the law; either for illegal drug possession or crimes caused as a result of being intoxicated.
- It can be almost impossible to get any job at all if the individual has a severe case of drug misuse, and with that gap in their CV it can exclude them from most employment roles in the future.
- Serious withdrawal symptoms begin to take hold and the individual can no longer function without drugs. At this point, only a drug clinic could help to cure the problem.
- Death. If somebody takes drugs for a long enough period of time without any help then they can end up dead.
Early Warning Signs
There are early warning signs when it comes to teen drug addiction. People who notice these symptoms should encourage the sufferer to check into a teen rehab clinic as soon as possible. It could just save their lives. These are the most common signs, but they are not necessarily the only signs out there.
- Poor classroom behaviour. A sign of teen drug abuse comes in the form of an inability to remain in control. Alarm bells should start to ring if this sort of behaviour is out of character. It’s usually up to the tutor to deal with matters like this.
- Loners. Not all loners are necessary drug addicts. But those who suddenly become loners may have these problems. Once again, if this is out of character then it could indicate that they have turned to dangerous substances like drugs.
- Withdrawal symptoms. Shaking and irregular pupils are definite signs that the person is suffering from withdrawal symptoms. It reveals nothing about the drug itself, but it does say enough to conclude that they need help.
Teen drug abuse should be reported immediately to the nearest relevant person. It could be a doctor, a parent, or even a local community police officer. They are there to help and performing these actions could save lives in the long run. The chances are they will be checked into a teen rehab clinic for teenage drug rehabilitation. If it’s caught early then most people do turn their lives around after a few years.
Teen Rehab Facilities
There are special clinics that are geared towards treating young people. Since young people often have more immediate personal problems they are given their own place in which to confront their demons. Some drug clinics are dedicated exclusively to this purpose, whereas some drug addiction treatment centres merely have wings and sections exclusively for the treatment of teenagers.
The programs evoked within these centres are very similar. There’s very little difference between the teen and the adult version since the principles of addiction remain the same. In order to beat the addiction it’s crucial that the trigger is identified and defeated. Without this it’s impossible to defeat any addiction. It’s another reason why people should never attempt to defeat their drug addictions on their own at home as the chances of success are nothing short of miniscule.
No matter where you live, there is a drug rehab center that can help you overcome your addiction. We'll help you find it.Select a County